Seoul Learn – Policy for Equal Educational Opportunity
The SMG aims to reduce the educational gap by providing equal educational opportunity, such as offering free online lectures and mentoring services to underprivileged youth.
○ Eligibility: Students living in Seoul who fall under the income criteria, out-of-school teens, teens from multicultural families (Check the website for eligibility)
○ Details: ① Online learning content linked with highly preferred education companies (e.g. courses, GED/certification lectures, entrance exam consulting); ② Mentoring services that fills gaps in learning; ③ Open lectures for the general public
The SMG will relieve 6 major redevelopment regulations and stabilize housing for citizens by carefully promoting prompt housing supply.
○ Regulatory relief: ① Abolition of the residential maintenance scoring system; ② Relief of regulations on general residential areas for type 2 (7 story limit)
○ Prompt supply: ③ Reduction of zoning period due to rapid integration (5 years → 2 years); ④ New designation of redevelopment areas and promotion of public offerings
○ Well-advised promotion: ⑤ Preemptive anti-speculation measures; ⑥ Annual selection of redevelopment candidate areas
Seoul Young Tech – Financial Consulting and Education Services for Young Adults
The SMG will help young adults to learn about stable financial management, and achieve financial independence through structured one-on-one financial consulting and education with experts.
○ Eligibility: Young adults living in Seoul (ages 19 to 39)
○ Schedule: Starting Fri, Nov. 12, 2021
○ Application: Online (youth.seoul.go.kr/youth)
Youth Employment Academy – Future Job Ladder for Young Job Seekers in Their 20s & 30s
The SMG will train young adults for Industry 4.0 that companies prefer, and match them with about 2,000 excellent companies in Seoul.
○ Free training on practical skills in the field of new digital Industry 4.0 technologies (e.g. AI, fintech) to young job seekers in their 20s and 30s
○ Establish an all around support system so that trainees can find jobs or start a business (create and distribute portfolio, matching day, form startup business mentor group, etc.)
○ Provide education on municipal employment projects, startup facilities and corporate organizations, and develop a 'youth employment total solution' platform
New Jobs for 50+ Seniors – Total Support for Startups, Job Creation, Job Change for Middle Aged and Senior Citizens
The SMG will provide personalized support for startups, which lowers risk and increases the likelihood of success, and support reemployment of middle aged and seniors who retired/planned to retire early.
○ Create '50+ Dongnam Campus,' a specialized hub for middle-aged and senior entrepreneurs
- Scheduled to open in 2022 as a specialized start-up space for entrepreneurs living in Seoul
○ Continuously train entrepreneurs through personalized consulting, education, and culture and support for each stage of growth
○ Provide Seoul-style support through connections (e.g. consulting, education, activities, services, jobs)
Commercial Alleyway Map – Revitalization of the Local Economy
The SMG will complete the map for small businesses of alleyways in Seoul through developing Seoul’s unique commercial alleyways.
○ Local brand promotion: Discover 100 commercial districts with high potential and local contents such as local values (10 locations in 2022)
○ Reinforcement of local brands: Discover 100 commercial districts among well known alleyways that can be upgraded with tourism content (2 places in 2022)
○ Development of commercial districts: Develop local commercial districts (within 10 minutes of residential area and related to daily life) into commercial districts tailored to the needs of residents (290 locations)
○ Preservation of traditional markets: Structured support for increase of sales and establish online presence of traditional markets
Seoul Reliable Income Pilot Project – Assistance for the Underprivileged
The SMG’s welfare system that aims to relieve welfare blind spots and income polarization by providing more support for low income earners.
○ The lower the income, the more the guaranteed income!
- About 500 households with less than 50% of the standard median income will be selected and paid monthly for three years
○ A new welfare model that serves as the ladder of hope and stable life for the low income class
○ Establish a welfare safety net of Seoul to prepare for the future by implementing a meaningful pilot project
Financial Center of Asia – Establishment of the Seoul Investment Agency
The SMG will promote various businesses so that Seoul can grow into a desirable global investment destination in the future, when Seoul is reorganized around Industry 4.0 technologies.
○ The financial industry is a high-value industry, which is a key element that influences development of other industries and the economy
○ Establish Seoul Investment Agency, focus on attracting international financial companies and creation of the fintech ecosystem, and train digital financial specialists
○ Develop a global fintech festival connected with financial conferences, relieve regulations through cooperation with the government, and discover local incentives, etc.
New Growth Innovation Hubs – Centering Around the Hangang River
The SMG will increase Seoul's urban competitiveness through the creation of a new innovation axis, and upgrade the urban space by combining sentiments and recovery of disconnected and old spaces.
○ Global competition: Create a central space to drive future growth around Hanyangdoseong (Seoul City Wall), Seoul Station, Yongsan, Yeouido, Yeongdeungpo, and Guro
○ High-tech & youth: Reorganize compact cities—Seongsu, Cheongnyangni, Hongneung, Kwangwoon University, and Chang-dong—for balanced knowledge, industry, housing and ecosystem
○ Future convergence: Create a global business exchange, AI and R&D innovation hub around Samsung, Jamsil, Suseo, and Yangjae
○ Culture & nature: Develop R&D clusters where culture and nature coexist around Sangam, Magok, and Gimpo Airport
Global Beauty Hub – Seoul As the Center of Global Beauty & Fashion
The SMG will continue to make Seoul an attractive city with more cultural content under the keyword 'beauty,' and expand the concept of beauty to cosmetics, fashion, plastic surgery, gourmet, tourism and MICE industries.
○ Pay attention to the beauty industry, the field that fits new consumption trends (e.g. emotional and wellness) and continuously creating new job opportunities
○ Establish a Seoul core beauty attraction, restore the beauty manufacturing industry, and develop specialized fields in each location by creating a beauty complex (industry+culture)
○ Support startups, talent cultivation, beauty tech, R&D, export, and public relations/ Promote excellent beauty services of Seoul and convergence with hallyu tourism assets/ Strengthen city marketing and global competitiveness through branding of 'Seoul, The City of Beauty'
Global Unicorn Development – The Goal of Every Startup Worldwide
The SMG will provide infrastructure, human resources, capital, and marketing support to promising startup companies into unicorn companies (non-listed private startups with a corporate value of more than KRW 1 trillion).
○ Build a city with a higher scale corporate growth beyond a start-up city
○ Move forward as one of the top five global startup ecosystem cities, and develop unicorn companies through a selective and focused support system that reflects company demands in each growth stage
- Establish system that provides infrastructure, human resources, capital, and marketing support according to the level of each growth stage
○ Develop global connections and large scale investment attractions to support overseas expansion
Personal Mobility Management System – For Electric Scooters & More
The SMG will create a safe environment for both riders and pedestrians by establishing a management system of personal mobility (e.g. electric scooters, bicycles).
○ Create a safe environment for both pedestrians and personal mobility users
○ Implement towing of illegally parked electric scooters (sharing transport service) for the first time in Korea
○ Continuous examination to prevent illegal towing
Autonomous Mobility – For World-Class Future Transportation System
The SMG will prepare for the future of Seoul to lead changes in the transportation and life of citizens, by establishing the foundation of the transportation system for autonomous vehicles.
○ Lead industrial technology development and service commercialization through demonstration of various autonomous vehicles
- Operate the Sangam autonomous driving district to build Korea’s largest self-driving technology and vehicle base; provide driving roads for shared vehicles, automated parking, 5G-connected cars
○ Establish the foundation of the transportation system for self-driving vehicles throughout Seoul such as the expansion of C-ITS
○ Provide short-distance transportation services such as self-driving buses connected to subways
Hangang Park Facility Maintenance – For Public Convenience & Safety
The SMG will make it so that anyone will be able to walk to Hangang Park within 10 minutes from anywhere near the Hangang River, and old and faded ICs will turn into bright and pleasant environments.
○ Expand accessible facilities (e.g. Hangang Park IC), and improve the ones that are inconvenient for persons with reduced mobility and cyclists to access
○ Renovate existing old ICs, and rebuild narrow and dangerous ICs to be pedestrian-only
Underground Infrastructure – For Improved Traffic & Environment
The SMG will relieve traffic congestion through underground-ization of driving roads in the southwest region, and resolve regional disconnection and create eco-friendly space by improving the upper structure.
○ Opening of the first underground road in Korea (opened the first-ever Sinwol–Yeoui Tunnel, and Seobu Urban Expressway Tunnel and World Cup-daero in September 2021)
○ Reduce width of the existing upper road or create facilities for residents to use
- Upper Sinwol–Yeoui Tunnel (Gukhoe-daero): Plans to create a park; Upper Seobu Urban Expressway Tunnel: Plans to increase accessibility to Anyangcheon Stream and build parks, cultural and sports facilities, etc.
2022 Seoul Festa – Major Tourism Festival in Asia
The SMG create Seoul Festa to grow into a major tourism festival of Asia filled with unique enjoyments of Seoul, suitable for the upcoming the 'With Corona' phase.
○ A huge tourism festival featuring various Korean cultural content in Seoul in connection with Formula E
○ Hosting global K-star concerts, K-food and K-beauty festivals, shopping and eco-friendly events involving SEOUL E-PRIX (scheduled for August 2022)
On Seoul, Health On – Seoul-style Smart Health Care Device
The SMG will provide Seoul On smart bands, health-related consulting services, and Health On points to increase the convenience of citizen’s health management and improve self-health management abilities.
○ Provide Seoul On smart bands (rentals) for self-directed health management and activity tracking
○ The device allows citizens to set individual health goals, monitor physical activity and diet, and provide health care information and consulting services
○ Health On points reward system based on continuous health management, achievement of health goals, etc.
Disaster-Safe City – With Smart Disaster Management System
The SMG will establish a smart disaster management system to keep Seoul citizens safe from disasters such as extreme weather and urbanization (structured disaster management system from prevention to recovery).
○ Prevention: Prevent accidents through smart management (e.g. drones, robots, IoT, 3D information modeling) of urban facilities
○ Preparation: Strengthen disaster prevention capabilities in preparation for extreme weather (response/conversion of AI-based integrated flood protection system)
○ Response: Prompt informing of the situation in case of a disaster (notify personalized information based on location optimized for mobile)
○ Recovery: Establish an integrated disaster management system (build an integrated platform for disaster management resources based on big data)
○ Training: Promote manual training for prompt response to disasters (simulation training using virtual environment)
Safe Asbestos-Free Schools – A Safe Future City For Children
The SMG will create a safe educational environment through dismantling and removing asbestos in schools, thorough inspection of asbestos in air, and an 'asbestos-free city manual.'
○ “School Asbestos Safety Inspection” based on Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) standards as the first in Korea
○ A research report on “Development of Standard Model For Dismantling and Removal of Asbestos in School” and ‘Asbestos-Free City’ Manual written by Office of Education and The Catholic University of Korea
○ Conduct a satisfaction survey to improve the school asbestos safety inspection project and to find direction for advancement
Safe Hospital Chaperone Service – Assistance for Single-Person Households
The SMG's 'Safe Hospital Chaperone' service will dispatch a chaperone to accompany you as a guardian to the hospital to back home for single-person households that need help going to the hospital.
○ For single-person households of Seoul citizens and residents who need assistance going to the hospital due to disabilities, etc.
○ A professional chaperone will accompany citizens through the entire process.
- Accompany medical treatment at the hospital, while visiting the pharmacy, etc.
○ Hours: 7 AM–8 PM (reservations only on weekends) / Fees: KRW 5,000 per hour (no separate vehicles; transportation fee is paid by the user)
Seoul-style Shared Daycare Center – Through Cooperation by Daycare Centers
The SMG will prevent concentration of specific daycare centers and higher the quality of service, through cooperation with nearby daycare centers and sharing of high-quality daycare programs.
○ While there is a lot of waiting for admission to public daycare centers, some centers are struggling to operate due to the decrease in children
○ Form three to five nearby daycare centers sharing communities; develop and operate sharing programs for daycare service improvement; coordinate admissions between daycare centers
○ Provide high-quality programs for children and increase teacher competency and encourage active participation
Electric Vehicles & Charging Stations – Zero-GHG Clean Air Campaign
The SMG will make a cleaner Seoul with zero-emission electric vehicles.
○ It aims to lower fine dust and respond to climate change by lowering greenhouse gas emission—as 19.2% of Seoul’s greenhouse gas is emitted from the transportation sector
○ Incentives are being distributed for different types of vehicles in order to maximize greenhouse gas emission reduction
○ Build EV charging stations near living areas (e.g. residential, public facilities, major attractions) to increase demand for electric vehicles
Green Seoul Project – Zero-Waste No Plastic Campaign With Cafes, Restaurants & Supermarkets
The SMG will create Seoul free from disposable plastic product waste.
○ Zero disposable cup waste: Establish a system in which franchise cafes in Seoul use non-disposable cups
○ Zero delivery container waste: Encourage private delivery platforms and companies to use non-disposable containers
○ One zero-waste store per neighborhood: Create zero-waste stores without unnecessary packaging
The SMG will turn small streams into urban and citizen-centric spaces for rest, activity and communication starting from tributaries to the Hangang River.
○ Transform waterfronts into urban landscapes and citizen-centric spaces for citizens' daily life (improvement of urban competitiveness by restoring the value of waterfront space)
○ Expand from village-based streams to city-based Hangang River (gradual expansion: village → town → district → region → city)
○ Boost the local economy, and promote balanced development/add sentimental elements by combining with local assets
Metaverse Seoul – A New Virtual World of Seoul
The SMG will introduce metaverse into various services such as cultural tourism, economy, education, and civil complaints. Visit Metaverse Seoul from anywhere and anytime to experience new administrative services.
○ Culture & tourism: Establish Seoul as a trendy tourist destination where you can enjoy the metaverse regardless of COVID-19
○ Realistic education: Operate avatar counseling services for the youth, and virtual learning experiences in connection with Seoul Learn
○ Urban experience: Virtual travel experience across the past and present of major Seoul attractions such as Gyeongbokgung Palace
○ Industrial development: Support for industrial ecosystems such as business promotion and investment support via metaverse
Sejong Center for the Performing Arts 2.0 – Futuristic Cultural Platform
The SMG will remodel the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts into a futuristic cultural complex, turning Gwanghwamun into Korea's cultural platform.
○ Since its opening in 1978, it has been reinforcing its functions through partial remodeling but it is still insufficient in terms of facility and sound system
○ Although Gwanghwamun is the center of Korean history and tradition in Seoul, it lacks major attractions that suggest future vision
○ Rebuild the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts into a futuristic cultural complex and a world-class performing arts landmark, connecting cultural resources around Gwanghwamun
Design Competitiveness – Enhancement Centered Around DDP 2.0
The SMG will strengthen Seoul's design competitiveness based on DDP—the mecca of global design— through developing contents unique to DDP.
○ Strengthen the role of DDP to establish DDP’s public identity and reinforce Seoul design competitiveness
○ Create global contents unique to DDP where global design trends gather
○ Strengthen the role of DDP as the core infrastructure of the design industry and design networks
○ Connect with nearby Dongdaemun commercial districts in order to establish DDP as a tourist attraction
Hanyangdoseong, Tangchundaeseong & Bukhansanseong as World Heritage Sites
The SMG will promote the listing of three fortress walls surrounding the capital defence of Hanyang during the Joseon dynasty as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
○ Apply the most representative of Seoul’s heritage Hanyangdoseong along with two other nearby fortress walls to get listed as world heritage sites
- Hanyangdoseong (Seoul City Wall) failed to be listed as a world heritage site in 2016, but it will be re-submitted in connection with two other fortress walls
※ Hanyangdoseong: The city wall surrounding Hanyang, the capital of the Joseon dynasty; Tangchundaeseong: The wall connecting the city wall and Bukhansanseong, and warehouse of military supplies; Bukhansanseong: The defensive fortress wall that defended the capital from foreign forces.
Baekje Historic Area – Earthen Fortification in Pungnap-dong, Seoul
The SMG will promote the development of cultural heritage by building the Baekje Historic Area, the beginning of the 2,000-year history of Seoul.
○ Establish the historic identity of Seoul as a 2,000-year historic city that began as the founding place of Baekje
○ Create a sustainable historical infrastructure by identifying the historicity of Baeje’s relics and promoting excavation and restoration in consideration of its location and characteristics
Seoul Water Recycling Experience Center & Park – Programs For Children & Leisure For Citizens
Where do human feces go from the toilet? Children can learn about the sewage treatment process through games at the Seonam Water Recycling Center.
○ Modernize dilapidated facilities by moving shelters underground and creating a resident-friendly space (scheduled to open in March 2022)
○ Create an outdoor theme park with a children's water play area and a resting space with nature outside the center
○ Prepare various experience and learning programs such as sewage treatment process-related books and cartoons for children inside the center