– ‘International urban policy sharing forum’[ Date/Location 8th ~10th June ‘16, Seoul city hall new wing] – Attended by over 300 international and local related personnel (Mayor, government official, Multilateral Development Bank, UN and other international organizations)
– Solution finding of various urban problems (environment, transport system, water supply and sewerage etc.) and policy sharing
□ Seoul Metropolitan Government together with UNESCAP (United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific), CityNet (The Regional Network of Local Authorities for the Management of Human Settlements) will host ‘International Forum on Urban Policy for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)’ in the new wing Seoul city hall from 8th ~10th June ‘16.
□ The objective of the upcoming forum is to seek for specific measures to fulfill and realize the goals adopted at the UN Sustainable Development Summit in Sept. 2015, The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2016~2030.
□ More than anything, this coming forum is to discuss on the execution plan of SDGs by practical methods led by urban governments including Seoul. Over 300 local and international experts of the related field will gather and try to find an answer to the various urban problems.
□ This forum will be held for 3 days, segregated into general sessions and sub-sessions, on-the-spot study, promotional exhibition of technology of corporations. ▼General session will consist of keynote presentation, the role of urban government to achieve sustainable development goals together, the necessity of sharing policies etc. ▼ Sub-sessions will consist of different categories (transportation, urban planning, water Supply and Sewerage, housing, public safety, social economy etc.) ran by international organizations. ▼ Promotional exhibition of related field technology from corporations will be displayed for the duration of the forum.
*Keynote presentation by Mr. Aromar Revi
|○ Nationality: Indian (Director of the Indian Institute for Human Settlements)
Leadership council of UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN)
(leads a global campaign for an urban Sustainable Development Goal (SDG)
○ Education: an alumnus of the Law and Management Schools of the University of Delhi
○ General session, topics such as sustainable city infrastructure, urban planning, transportation, housing, water supply and sewage, etc. will be discussed widely and introduction of best practices of Seoul will also be on the agenda
○ Sub-sessions will be run by United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Global Social Economy Forum (GSEF), World Bank group (WB), the World e-Governments Organization of Cities and Local Governments (WeGO), the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI), United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) and United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR).
□ In addition, mayors from major international cites will attend and not only pose problems but also participate in providing answers for those problems. The policy export MOU, a focused item of Seoul Metropolitan Government is also expected to be signed.
□ Seoul Metropolitan Government International Cooperation Bureau of Lee Byeong Han says “With the efforts of global sustainable development goals, Seoul is making a preemptive effort towards this development by hosting this forum therefore expected to become the center of the solution to the problems we face. We will share the experiences of those of an advanced country with developing countries and hoped to have a role to play in the policies, experiences and technology that they may need at the developing country scenes.”