Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
The building of the Seoul Museum of Art was built during the colonial period in 1928 as Gyeongseong Court on the site of Pyeongniwon (Hanseong Court), the country’s first court. After the country’s liberation, the building was used as the Supreme Court until the latter’s relocation to a new building in Seocho-dong in 1995, and has been used by the Seoul Museum of Art (SeMA) since 2002.
The building was built on a site elevated by about 6 meters, perhaps to signify the authority of a high court. In 2002, the building was reborn as a modern exhibition space after refurbishment work, although its 1920s façade was fully preserved. It was designated as Cultural Heritage No. 237 in recognition of its architectural and historical significance.