– The head of Women and Family Policy Affairs Office of Seoul, Eom Kyu-sook attends ‘the 60th session of the Commission on the Status of Women at New York UN headquarters.
– Introducing Women’s Safety Policy of Seoul and panel discussion at UN Habitat session on Friday 18th March.
– Won UN Public Service Award last year. Having a chance to share and promote Seoul’s policy with the international society.
□ Seoul Metropolitan Government will introduce the representative women safe policy of Seoul “Women’s Safety Metropolitan City” at “the sixtieth session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)” at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
□ CSW is a functional commission of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and it is also called ‘UN Women’ as they have strong power and role including legislating international agreements like Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), inspecting and controlling the agreements fulfillment.
○ CSW shares policy cases for empowerment and promotion of Women’s rights, and searches efficient implementation plans while all the countries of the world, related international organizations and NGO gather together at the United Nations Headquarters in New York every March. On 14 ~ 24 March in 2016, CSW will hold with its priority theme “Women’s empowerment and the link to sustainable development”.
□ Seoul announces that the head of Women and Family Policy Affairs Office of Seoul, Eom Kyu-sook will present Seoul’s Women’s Safety Policy and have a panel discussion at 13:15 on Friday 18th March, the fifth day of CSW at UN-Habit session: Safer Cities +20: Public Space and Gender.
□ Ms. Eom will introduce Safer City for Women the comprehensive plan of Seoul, which has started in 2013 and been upgraded this year, by planning to draw international society’s attention on this policy.
○ “Safe Delivery Service For Women” is for women who are afraid of receiving parcel when they live or stay home alone, and around 600 24-hour convenience stores designate and operate as a safe shelter “Women’s Safety Patrol Houses” in an emergency situation.
○ In addition, Seoul will share “Safer Neighborhoods for Women” case to change a dark and narrow alley into a crime free environment as colored and changed its design through Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) and application “Ansimi”, which will be developed this year. Seoul will establish the tight security net with the latest smart phone technology.
○ Besides, a shelter for runaway teenage girls ‘Namu’, where provides room and board, supports short-term works, and offers a counselling service. In a cooperate with 207 pharmacies in Seoul, ‘Looking After Teenage Girl Pharmacy’ supplies medicines when the teenage girls get in trouble including pregnant or runaway, and send them to nearby protection centers.
□ In addition to the official session, Ms. Eom will meet UN-Habitat and UN Women officials to seek cooperation plans including women’s policy exchange, and have a meeting with the Korean immigrant community to embrace the multicultural policy.
□ She will also visit the professional organization for recovering family relationship and children, the New York Center For Children, as regards child abuse.
○ The New York Center For Children is a non-profit organization and supplies a comprehensive emotional health service to children and family.
□ Previously, Seoul has won UN Public Service Award for women’s safety policy in May 2015.
□ “Safety is the fundamental requirement and guaranteed essential rights for human being. Especially Seoul municipal government is continuously trying to make the city as women can live without fear and anxiety night and day. We expect the high satisfaction leveled safety policies of Seoul will be shared and promoted with the international society.” the head of Women and Family Policy