As the bright sun shines and a cool breeze blows, everyone wants to go for a stroll and enjoy the scenery. However, there are not many places in most cities where people can enjoy taking a walk. That’s why international advanced cities are forming walking trails such as Broadway (New York, USA) and Exhibition Road (London, England) so that the citizens can enjoy taking walks in their city.
The Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG) will promote the “Good bye Car, Good day Seoul” project so as to improve the citizens’ lives and transform the city of Seoul into a global center of walking tours.
|Form people-oriented traffic environment||• Create a city free from discrimination by implementing a pedestrian-oriented traffic environment.|
|Improve the quality of citizens’ lives||• Reduce social costs of environmental pollution due to the decreased use of cars.
• Improve public health by relaxing and preventing age-related illnesses thanks to walking
|Revitalize||• Revitalize the nearby regions fueled by an increase in mobile populations
• Induce economic activities including buying and selling of goods and services
|Linguistic meaning||• By using an intuitive and simple sentence for suggestion, encourage the citizens to act voluntarily
• By using a comma, express the relaxing and resting that “walking” stands for
|Visual meaning||• Express the identity precisely and clearly
• Express the interpunct of “I•SEOUL•YOU” as the face of a walker
• The Chinese character “人”, meaning human, and the Korean letter “ㅅ” stands for the human body, therefore expressing excitement and liveliness
To launch the “Walkable City, Seoul” project, the SMG will implement eight fundamental tasks in four different directions.
|Slogan||• Good bye Car, Good day Seoul|
|Intended value||• Convenient and safe pedestrian facilities
• Pedestrian environment for improving quality of life
|Possible to walk||• Carry out maintenance on pedestrian roads and reduce obstructions to walking
• Expand safety facilities for pedestrians by expanding roads only for pedestrians and improving accident black spots
|Easy to walk||• Form pedestrian walkways that connect to one another by linking the disconnected pedestrian paths
• Increase convenience for walkers by operating the Citizens’ Mobility Care Center and forming Median bus-only lanes in the Jongno area
|Want to walk||• Establish walking spaces offering events for citizen’s participation and various displays to enjoy
• Form global landmarks for walking by developing various walking trails
|Walk together||• Promote pedestrian rights for the disabled and elderly by improving the protection zones for them and providing safety education for walking
• Continued development through citizen’s engagement and cultural innovation
To realize “Walkable City, Seoul,” the SMG will implement an urban regeneration project and a pedestrian-friendly project. Specifically, to transform Seoul into an attractive walkable city that has its own story, the SMG will form urban walking trails and build close links between various urban projects.
|Seoul Station 2017 Project||Promote the revitalization of the local economy and improve the pedestrian environment by making the top of the overpass into a walking trail and connecting the walkways linked to Seoul Station Square and the surrounding area|
|Sewoon Shopping Mall Regeneration Project||Establish well-designed walking trails by repairing the old pedestrian deck and building the above-ground pedestrian bridge in Cheonggyeoncheon Stream to be connected to the stream as an exemplary urban regeneration project to overhaul the existing buildings or roads|
|Ecology Restoration and Namsan Yejangjarak Regeneration Project||Transform the isolated Namsan Yejangjarak into a park for walking and a hub of urban tour courses linked to the overpass of Seoul Station, Namsan, and Hanok Village.|
|Sejongro Historical and Cultural Special Space Project||Connect the underground space to Gwangwhamun and restore the traditional appearance of Deoksugung Palace designed by Emperor Gojong, the king of Joseon|
|Operation of Ddareungi, Seoul’s bike sharing system||Operate Seoul’s public bike sharing system and expand bike infrastructure to encourage the use of bikes, an eco-friendly transportation.|