Introduction to Nodeulseom
The island is located in Hangangdaegyo (Bridge) between Ichon-dong of Yongsan-gu and Heukseok-dong of Dongjak-gu. Its size is about 120000㎡ or 1/7 of that of Yeouido, and it used to be a white beach during the Japanese colonial period. After the construction of Hangangdaegyo (Bridge) and the Hangang Comprehensive Development, however, it became a man-made concrete island.
Nodeulseom before 20C -> The sand plain village “Sa-chon(village)”
- Nodeulseom was the place where King Jeongjo of the Joseon Dynasty crossed the river on a bridge made of ship when visiting Hyeonnyungwon Tomb in Hwaseong(1796)
- Kim Jung Ho, Kyeongjo-obudo (A map of the capital city of Hanyang in 1861)
Seoul before the Hangang River development plan
- Construction of 3,300㎡ stone platform for the footbridge connecting the northern and southern parts the of Hangang River (named Jungji-do)
- As a sandy beach in summer,as a park and skating rink in winter
Formation of Nodeulseom Island through Hangang River development
- 1968~1969 The white sand plain turned into Ichon-dong during the Hangang River development
- 150,000㎡ were expanded through reclamation(with sand wall instalment)
- Citizens visited less frequently after the transfer of island ownership to Chinhung International Co.
- 1982~1986 120,000㎡ expanded through shore protection maintenance construction
- Transfer of island ownership to Kunyoung Co., Ltd.
- The new name “Nodeulseoum Island” is derived from the Japanese colonial name reformation system(No: white heron, Deul: stepping stone
Hangang River Performing Art Center Project
- Decision made to build cultural facilities in Nodeulseom Island(transfer of ownership to Seoul Metropolitan Government)
- Nodeulseom Island Art Center nomination design contest(Grand Prize awarded to – Jean Nouvel)
- Seoul Performing Arts Center International design contest(winning entry : Seung Hong Park’s “Chum”)
- Project is postponed until the city becomes financially prepared and obtains the consensus of Seoul citizens(in the meantime, decision made for its temporary use as a public vegetable garden)
- Re-discussion of island usage
- Formation and operation of Nodeulseom Island Forum
New use of Nodeulseom Island
Regarding the new use of Nodeulseom Island…
Seoul City is beginning to take steps to make the best use of Nodeulseom Island and to make it a space for citizens. The city launched the Nodeulseom Island Forum in August 2013 to produce a practical process-centered plan that can be differentiated from existing plans. The city will have discussions with citizens on the new use of Nodeulseom Island through citizen-participatory programs.
- Discussion on measures for the use of Nodeulseom Island
(5 discussions on the composition and operation of the Nodeul Forum/ 4 discussions with the Forum Operating Committee/ 5 discussions with sub-committees of each field / 3 discussions with citizen-participatory sub-committees)
- Hold open discussion on Nodeulseom Island with citizens (presentation of themes, discussion with experts, and Q&A session)
- Hold Nodeulseom Island photo contest
- Other theme contests held (e.g. freedom, spring, summer, fall, and winter)