Successful resolution of new town and redevelopment projects and operation of new public management
After investigating the current conditions, the Seoul Metropolitan Government is expanding the operation of proper unions, such as assisting in decisions regarding the path of projects, providing professional presentation meetings and project management, conducting regular monitoring of the operation of unions, and finding successful cases.
- The Seoul Metropolitan Government will improve administrative and financial support for the smooth progress of projects by expanding the support for house maintenance loan (15 billion won in 2013 → 35 billion won in 2014) and by selecting model unions and promoting transparent agreements.
- In addition, the city will construct a sound foundation for maintenance project unions by conducting regular monitoring of the operation of unions and strengthening assistance for maintenance projects in places with chronic conflicts.
According to the needs of residents, the implementation of new town projects have been reconsidered, and the rescission of the project has been promptly executed. After the rescission, Seoul induces customized improvement considering the characteristics of each area and residents’ property rights.
- The Seoul Metropolitan Government will provide various forms of assistance for areas where new town projects are being implemented, such as: adjustment of reasonable boundaries to ensure that there are no additional charges on residents in rescinded districts; assistance for public architects; implementation of simplified procedures; subsidy of service cost in case of change of planning, and; budgetary support for the necessary infrastructures.
Deciding the execution of the project (by the will of residents)
Results of reality investigation, Individual application
Decide the direction of refurbishment facilitating district.
Purpose of district designation, Judging effectiveness
1.Release from district
- Impossible to achieve the goal of district designation
- Release the total district
- Return to the status before district designation
2.Exclusion from district (Partial release)
- Exclusion from the district
- Return to the status before district designation
3.Release from area(Change of facilitation plan )
- Change into maintenance area
- Lifting restriction of approval for development
- Managed by district unit planning if necessary
Sharing village beyond New town – Expansion of Alternative Project
As part of the New town alternative project, the Seoul Metropolitan Government promotes a project for residential environment management and improvement of street housing. It concentrates on social and economic regeneration, not on physical regeneration.
1.Expanding infrastructure and common usage facilities
- Creating facilities for common usage of residents
- Complementing crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED)
2.Supporting house improvement and maintenance
- Low-interest home loan
- Establishing community management center
3.Supporting community activation
- Dispatch of experts and supporting residents’ activity
- Supporting self-reliance of community activity
The project for residential environment management is being operated first in the rescinded new town redevelopment areas and will be completed in 12 districts by 2014. It supports community organization such as cooperative association and social enterprise and establishes the foundation to vitalize the community.
- The Seoul Metropolitan Government is putting a great deal of effort to revitalize businesses in residential areas by improving housing and creating new jobs for the youth through student contests and for integrated social and economic regeneration, such as the establishment and operation of centers for village management. It is also promoting integrated regeneration that does not use any divider between related departments, such as installing new renewable energy and designing a crime prevention environment.
① Temporary residents’ association(4 areas)-Sangdo-dong, etc. → ② Residents’ association (3 areas)-Daerim-dong, etc. → ③ Operating committee (8 areas)-Banghak-dong, etc. → ④ Cooperatives(Non-profit NGO)-Onsu, Gireum, Hwigyeong / Yeonnam, Gaebong → ⑤ Community enterprise(Social enterprise)-Social enterprise (Jangsu Village)
The project for the improvement of street housing, which uses a small block-type improvement approach, is being operated after residents form a cooperative association. A model project is being implemented at present.
- The project is being operated in two areas: Jangan-dong and Banpo-dong. The related legislation is being revised for deregulation on the agreement rate, restriction on the number of floors, and height limit on the roadside.
Urban regeneration for a true Seoul
The Seoul government is promoting a housing regeneration program that induces integration and sharing and transforms the city into a new citizen-oriented town through the convergence of physical, economic, and social values.
- Human = Process
Human nature → Happy welfare regeneration
- Place = identity → Seoul-type regeneration
- Process = Continuity → Regeneration by citizens’ participation
Projects for preserving the life of local residents and local properties
- The conservation project of Baeksa Village residential area uses the design of 1~3-story, low-density rental houses to promote the building of low-rising rental houses and to revitalize the town community through the preservation of residential areas. It also implements measures for operating the management of rental houses.
- The city is planning to establish fortress village conservation and management projects and implement them step by step (20 villages in 9 districts), maintaining coherence with other related projects such as the restoration of Seoul City Wall to preserve and manage the fortress village where life and culture are in harmony.
- The Seoul Metropolitan Government operates projects for the excavation and preservation of fortress paths and their surrounding historical resources, preservation of modern architecture and hanok (traditional Korean house), and construction of cultural complexes to establish measures for the regeneration of resident-oriented Gaemi Maeul (Ants Village) and to construct cultural space by utilizing historical resources (1st district of Donuimun 1st Section).
Establishing an urban regeneration model for true Seoul
- The Seoul-type regeneration model will be suggested through test-runs on Changsin and Sungin new town rescinded districts.(Apply with the Land Affairs Ministry as leading districts)
- The city induces residents’ participations in the development of the regional tourism industry, which utilizes the fortress, opening of exhibition halls to promote the history of local businesses, construction of the foundation for industrial competitiveness in the sewing industry, and formation of village community.
- The city will improve its social and economic status and build a foundation for self-regeneration by reviewing and diagnosing existing projects, assisting in the development of various programs, and inducing residents’ participation for the actual revitalization of old downtown areas such as Nakwon Arcade and Donhwamun-ro.