International MICE Industry Trends
1. Recent Trends: Increase in the International Conference Market
- Based on Union of International Associations, the number of international conferences has reached 1 million per year.
- For the past 6 years, the growth rate of international conferences reached 19.9% but in 2007, the difference in growth rate has decreased.
2. New Trends in the International MICE Market
- The European and North American nations such as, the United States, Germany, as well as, the Asian nations; Hong Kong and Singapore continue to promote the construction of convention centers.
- The rate of the international conferences held worldwide are slowing down and due to this occurrence, it is inevitable for intense competition to arise among countries wishing to gain more market share.
Industry concept expanded: “BT MICE”
- MICE Industry now includes Business Travel as one of its components.
Partnerships enforced with other international cities by forming alliances
- In 2000, “Best Cities Global Alliance” was officially launched in Melbourne. Currently there are ten member cities: Berlin, Cape Town, Chicago, Copenhagen, Dubai, Edinburgh, Houston, Melbourne, Singapore and Vancouver. The alliance builds partnership and networks among the leading convention bureaus, and seeks for shared growth in the market. As such, international alliances and partnerships are increasing in numbers.
- In 2010, Seoul Tourism Organization founded FCCI (Future Convention Cities Initiative) with the convention leaders from Sydney, London, Abu Dhabi, San Francisco, Toronto, and Durban.
Crucial need for national support
- Through “Event Britain” strategy, Great Britain receives a number of varied support from its governing body, to attract and host new events. Singapore also works closely with the government and business enterprises to strengthen the convention industry and support the convention industry through global marketing on a national level. There is a crucial need for support on a national level.
Expansion of environmental management
- An implementation is set for green growth by various means such as reducing the usage of electricity by utilizing natural light, actively promoting its Green Campaign, extensive recycling, raising awareness of eco-friendly food, and reinforcing green marketing.
3. Rapid Growth Rate in Asia Market in comparison to the Global Market
- For the past 6 years, the growth rate of Asia Market has increased 133%, which in comparison to the Global Market’s rate (19.9%), Asia is a clear leader.
- Singapore as well as Japan, Korea, and China have shown steady growth and are being recognized as new emerging players in the global market.
UIA International Meetings (Asia Pacific)