Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
“Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market,” which opened in Hangang Park in Yeouido last October, came back again as a more developed version. This year, Seoul is organizing the Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market every Friday and Saturday at four different locations, with a unique theme for each. The Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market is expected to boost the local economy, youth business start-ups, and job creation, as well as serve as a platform for new cultural attractions for Seoul citizens to enjoy.
Bamdokkaebi Night Market originated from “dottegi market,” which refers to a temporary or seasonal market where wholesale trades, secret trades, and others are conducted. The term has long used to refer to traditional markets, such as markets in Hwanghak-dong and Banghak-dong. Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market is a market that opens at night and disappears in the morning like dokkaebi, a type of demon or ogre in Korean folklore and fairy tales. It also means opening a new chapter.
Traditionally, dokkaebi perform magic with a club and enjoy dancing and singing with human beings. Dokkaebi are familiar folklore creatures to many Koreans. Dokkaebi were chosen as the mascot of Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market because they can offer fun and energy to the nights of the citizens of Seoul as well as tourists.
Many countries, such as the United States and Thailand, have their own night markets, which serve as tourist attractions and boost the local economy. Seoul will likewise encourage related organizations and groups in the areas that fit the theme of Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market to participate in the project in order to develop them into cultural tourist attractions representing Seoul’s nightlife.
|Brooklyn Night Bazaar
• Norman Avenue, Brooklyn, New York
• Operating hours: Fri., Sat 19:00-01:00
• Around 80 stores are open, selling local food, clothes, and accessories, with live performances throughout the market.
• Tourists can experience local culture in the midst of the bustling market.
• On weekend nights, around 3,000 tourists fills the street area of 2,000 ㎡.
• Charoenkrung Road, Bangkok
• Operating hour: 17:00-midnight
• Along the Chao Phraya River, a theme park, food market, and shopping mall were built after renovating the port and warehouses built in the 19th century. Tourist as well as locals enjoy spending time at the market.
• The market is divided into ten sections, such as the Factory Section, where designers sell their own handicrafts, the Chareonkrung Section, a shopping mall selling various items, the Town Square Section, where restaurants and cafes are located, and the Waterfront Section, where meals are enjoyed on the riverside. The market offers a variety of spectacles to tourists.
The Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market first opened in Yeouido, and gradually expanded to other locations, including Dongdaemun Design Plaza and Cheonggye Plaza in May, and Mokdong Stadium in July. Based on the results of operation this year, Seoul will expand the night market to 10 locations.
|March 2016||• Yeouido World Night Market|
|May to June 2016||• Cheonggye Plaza Seasonal Market (Seaon 1), DDP Youth Runway Market & Dancing Night Market|
|July 2016||• Mokdong Stadium Leports & Extreme Market
• Cheonggye Plaza Seasonal Market (Seaon 2)
|September 2016||• Cheonggye Plaza Seasonal Market (Seaon 3)|
|October 2016||• Cheonggye Plaza Seasonal Market (Seaon 4)|
|2017-2018||• Expand Night Market (10 locations)|
The Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market will operate at four different locations in Seoul (Yeouido, Dongdaemun Design Plaza, Mokdong Stadium, and Cheonggye Plaza). Once begun, the market will open every Friday and Saturday on a regular basis, and citizens will be able to enjoy their time there. Cheonggye Plaza will open on occasion exceptionally as a special seasonal market as well.
|Yeouido World Night Market
• Place for international food, performances, and handicrafts.
• Every Fri., Sat .18:00-23:00 (Total 70 occasions)
|DDP Youth Runway & Dancing Night Market
• Place for Youth Festivals
• Every Fri., Sat 19:00-24:00 (Total 52 occasions)
|Mokdong Stadium Leports & Extreme Market
• Place for sports, hobbies, and other experiences and spectacles
• Every Fri., Sat 17:00-22:00 (Total 36 occasions)
|Cheonggye Plaza Seasonal Market
• Place for new seasonal food and spectacles
• May, July, September, October (Total 12 occasions)
In addition, Seoul will improve the operation of the market and make it more efficient based on the operation results of the past year.
• Introduction of a card payment system, a price display system, and a system indicating the origin of the product
• Coordinating the ratio of handicrafts and food sales and designating sections for local merchandise
• Trademark application and registration of “Seoul Bamdokkaebi Night Market” brand
• Private autonomous operation and an increase of administrative support (scheduled in 2017)
Seoul will host new market festivals, which will gather merchants, customers, and culture together through Seoul’s nightlife and culture, specialized items, merchants, and a culture-blended program.
• New concept of night market brand creation
• Boosting youth business start-ups and creating jobs
• Boosting the local economy
• Creating resting places for citizen
• Building tourist attractions for Seoul citizens