<Seoul Wi-Fi Kkachi On>
The Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG) is preparing for the post-coronavirus era and the rapid transition towards digitalization and online activities by launching a pilot service of “Kkachi On,” public Wi-Fi that is four times faster than the existing system and can be used free of charge starting on November 1, 2020.
This service can be used in all public areas, including parks, walking trails, traditional markets, and main roads. All users have to do is turn on the Wi-Fi function of their device and connect to “SEOUL.” After initially registering Kkachi On with a certain device, the same device will automatically connect to the public Wi-Fi whenever it is available.
However, public buses will offer “Public WiFi@Bus_Secure_(route number)” to use stable data. This will solve the problems of repeated connection and disconnection to Wi-Fi that may occur when a users’ location and the AP signal of Wi-Fi in nearby buses collide.
After starting with Seongdong-gu and Guro-gu on November 1, 2020, the pilot service will be expanded to Eunpyeong-gu, Gangseo-gu, and Dobong-gu in mid-November.
The SMG expects to make a foundation for realizing the new technologies of the 4th Industrial Revolution, including big data, artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of things (IoT), security, and 3D maps, and for reducing telecommunications costs by utilizing its own network instead of relying on that of a private telecommunications service provider.
The SMG revealed that it will meet the increased demands for data as society is turning to an online and contact-free world, ensuring that everyone has access to telecommunications and making sure that the costs incurred will not lead to “digital isolation” and “digital gaps.”
Furthermore, a pilot service for public IoT utilizing its own network will also begin next year in Guro-gu, Seocho-gu, and Eunpyeong-gu. By utilizing a public IoT network and sensors, it will provide services closely related to the everyday lives of citizens and collect and use urban data to establish policies that can be truly experienced by citizens.
The SMG will supplement the plans and cooperate with related organizations through the operation of the first stage of this pilot project in five gus of Seoul and performance reviews. Seoul will expand the services to the remaining 20 gus in phases, with the goal to provide S-Net and Kkachi On services throughout the entire city of Seoul by 2022.
□ How to Connect to Public Wi-Fi in Village Buses and Public Areas in Seoul
○ Select “Seoul_Secure”,
○ For Android devices, select the EAP method as “PEAP” and CA certificate as, “Do not validate,” or, “Unspecified.” Input “seoul” in both the ID and password sections. Select “Disable” for 2-step verification. This will allow safe and secure access to the Wi-Fi.
○ For iOS users, input “seoul” in both the username and password sections. Select the radius certificate as, “Trust,” for secure access.
□ How to Connect to Public Wi-Fi in City Buses
○ Select “PublicWiFi@Bus_Secure_(route number)”
○ For Android devices, select the EAP method as “PEAP” and CA certificate as, “Do not validate,” or, “Unspecified.” Input “wifi” in both the ID and password sections. Select “Disable” for 2-step verification. This will allow safe and secure access to the Wi-Fi.
○ For iOS users, input “wifi” in both the username and password sections. Select the radius certificate as, “Trust,” for secure access.
□ How to Connect to Public Wi-Fi (open-type) in Village Buses and Public Areas in Seoul
○ Wi-Fi devices are automatically connected to the open-type village bus and SMG public Wi-Fi when set to connect to “SEOUL.”
○ When the device is connected to the public Wi-Fi, the SMG public Wi-Fi landing page will open. Users can freely use the public Wi-Fi.
<SMG Public Wi-Fi Landing Page>
□ How to Connect to Public Wi-Fi (open-type) in City Buses
○ To connect to the public Wi-Fi (open-type) in city buses, turn on the Wi-Fi connection and select “PublicWiFi@Bus_Free_(route number).” The landing page will automatically open. Then, click the Wi-Fi button to connect.