Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
The “International Forum on Transforming Cities for Decent Work” is opening in Seoul from September 5th to 6th on Tuesday and Wednesday for two days at the Multipurpose Hall of Seoul City Hall and Lotte Hotel Seoul.
This forum organized and led by the Seoul Metropolitan Government is promoting advanced labor policies and the event will provide an opportunity to cast light upon the meaning of labor with the governments of 10 other cities including New York, London, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Johannesburg in addition to eight international organizations including the ILO, OECD, and EU as well as related public organizations and labor unions in Korea.
This forum will be exceptionally meaningful with Director-General Guy Ryder of the ILO giving a keynote speech to highly praise the effort of the Seoul Metropolitan Government in creating quality jobs and the importance of spreading the good model globally.
ILO is an affiliated organization of the UN that supervises the labor situations and compliance of labor laws of each county by setting international labor standards and supporting member countries to create decent jobs. Korea joined the ILO as its 152nd member in 1991 among 187 member countries of the ILO.
Seven other chief executives of the ILO are also planning to visit Seoul with Director-General Guy Ryder to lead effective discussions on labor policies during this forum.
The purpose of this forum is to build an ‘urban labor model for quality jobs’ based on the opinions of workers and laborers on site. All related bodies including city governments, international organizations, public organizations, labor unions, and labor civic organizations will participate in the forum for meaningful discussions.
On the last day of the forum, “Seoul Declaration” will be announced and the declaration will include the future directions and tasks of each city government, labor union, and civic organization that aim to create cities with quality jobs. Furthermore, Seoul is planning to lead the establishment of a｢consultative body for cities with decent work｣ with other cities that will participate in the forum and is expecting to build a close partnership with the ILO as well through this forum.
On the last day of the forum, “Seoul Declaration” will be announced and the declaration will include the future directions and tasks of each city government, labor union, and civic organization that aim to create cities with quality jobs. Furthermore, Seoul is planning to lead the establishment of a｢consultative body for cities with decent work｣ with other cities that will participate in the forum and is expecting to build a close partnership with the ILO as well through this forum. （www.seoul.go.kr）
○ Outline of International Forum on Transforming Cities for Decent Work
○ Date: 5 Sep. 2017 – 6 Sep. 2017 (2 days)
○ Venue: Multipurpose Hall at Seoul City Hall, Sapphire Room at Lotte Hotel
○ Host: Seoul Special City
○ Partner: ILO
○ Sponsors: Ministry of Employment and Labor (MOEL), Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, Korea Labor Institute
○ Participants: 200 representatives of ILO, OECD, EU, mayors and policymakers of major cities around the globe, and labor unions
|Sep. 5th (Tue)||· Expert Round Table Discussion：① Strategies of city governments for creation of quality jobs
· Opening Ceremony：Welcoming Speech (Seoul Metropolitan Government), Congratulatory Message (MOEL), Keynote Speech (ILO)
· Presentation & Discussion on Labor Policies：① Employment for cities with decent work/②Social protection and workplace rights
|Sep. 6th (Wed)||· Presentation & Discussion on Labor Policies：③ Social communication for cities with decent work/④future jobs, future cities
· Expert Round Table Discussion：② Visions and strategies of cities for creation of quality jobs
· Closing Ceremony：Speeches (Federation of Korean Trade Unions, Korean Confederation of Trade Unions, Korea Employers Federation) Seoul Declaration & Closing Speech (SMG)