The Seoul Metropolitan Government confers honorary citizenship upon international residents in Seoul in recognition of their contributions to the city and the local community, including being a role model to Seoul citizens as well as other foreign residents.
1. Qualification for Honorary Citizenship of Seoul
- 1) Current foreign residents who have resided in Seoul for more than three consecutive years and current or former foreign residents who have or had resided in Seoul for five cumulative years, having contributed to:
- • Improving the status of the City of Seoul at home and abroad,
- • Enhancing the quality of life and promoting cultural activities of citizens,
- • The economic development of Seoul, or
- • Introducing cutting-edge technologies in science and other industries.
- * Note: Foreign residents refer to those who completed alien registration with the Immigration Bureau of the Republic of Korea. Those who are exempt from alien registration in accordance with applicable law/regulation, such as the holders of Official & Diplomatic passports, are also eligible.
- 2) Foreign residents who have resided in Seoul for three consecutive years or less (or current or former foreign residents who have resided in Seoul for five cumulative years or less) but have made significant contribution to the City of Seoul otherwise than aforementioned
* Note: The contribution made to the City of Seoul shall be independently assessed and determined by the deliberation committee.
- 1) Heads of public organizations (Heads of national organizations and local governments, or those of corporations and public organizations whose purpose of existence was authorized by the heads of national organizations and local governments),
- 2) Heads of civic organizations, or
- 3) A group of more than 30 citizens of Seoul. (Joint signatures are required)
3. Required documents
- 1) A recommendation form: attached to this notice.
- • Please include nominee’s personal information and key achievements (including detailed supporting materials) in Korean or English.
- 2) A photo of nominees (3.5 cm x 4.5 cm) taken within the past 6 months.
- • If more information about nominees is needed, the Committee will contact nominators to request additional information or confirm facts.
- 3) Certificate of Alien Registration
- • Please include all records of the residential address change.
- 1) Period: June 8, 2020 ~ July 17, 2020
- 2) By postal mail or in person
- – Address: International Relations Division, 8F, Seoul City Hall, 110 Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul (04524), Korea
- – e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
- • In case of submission by postal mail, the postmark date should be no later than July 17, 2020.
- • Not only submission of a hard copy (original copy) of recommendation form via postal or in person, but also submission of soft copy (digital files) via e-mail is required to be made no later than July 17, 2020.
5. Selection process
- The nomination is brought to the Selection Committee for the Honorary Citizenship of Seoul and Seoul Metropolitan Council for deliberation.
- • The Selection Committee will be convened in August of 2020.
- • Seoul Metropolitan Council will confirm in September of 2020.
6. Benefits for Honorary Citizens
- 1) Conferred the honorary citizenship.
- 2) Appointed as member of various committees of the city government or invited to official events.
- 3) Provided with discounted admissions to the city-operated facilities such as Seoul Grand Park, Seoul Museum of History and Seoul Museum of Art.
- 1) Recommendation form can be downloaded below.
- 2) Those selected as Honorary Citizens of Seoul will be notified within seven days after Seoul Metropolitan Council confirms the result of the Selection.
- 3) Submitted documents will not be returned. For more information, please find the contact information.
- • E-mail : email@example.com
- • Tel : 02-2133-5285