What the city of Seoul is calling for is the conservation of energy to the amount of two million TOEs, which is equivalent to the annual energy production of a nuclear power plant, by the end of 2014, by improving energy efficiency, conserving energy and increasing the energy supply from new and renewable energy sources. In connection with this, a very special building has opened its doors today. I’m talking about the Seoul Energy Dream Center, the country’s first public building that is entirely energy-independent, located in the Peace Park, Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu.
Compared to a conventional building, this innovative structure reduces energy consumption by 70% by using a variety of energy conservation techniques such as insulation, natural lighting, LED lighting, the recovery of waste heat, and the release of accumulated energy at night. The remaining 30% of the building’s energy requirement is generated by new and renewable energy sources such as geothermal heat and solar power
624 solar panels measuring1.5m x 1m have been installed on the rooftop in addition to 240 in the roof garden. The energy from the panels is expected to be more than enough for the building. The rest will be sold to KEPCO (Korea Electric Power Corporation).
The building, which is designed in the shape of a windmill and features a tilted exterior walls made of white artificial marble that reflect more than 60% of sunlight, is intended entirely for exhibition and educational purposes. The new center has 3,762m2 of floor space (one basement floor and three floors aboveground) which will be used for diverse environment-related exhibitions tailored to the needs of the public and some very practical hands-on environmental educational programs.
I am planning a tour program of energy self-reliant villages and solar power systems in Seoul in relation to its efforts to deal with climate change in general and to reduce energy consumption so as to be able to scrap one nuclear power plant. This center will be one of the key visiting places in the tour program.
Citizens, why not pay a visit to the Seoul Energy Dream Center with your kids. They will love it.