Used to be home to 443 residents (62 households) (fishing, boat manufacturing, cultivation of herbal plants and mulberry trees, goat grazing)
1968.2: Exploded and disassembled to use its earth, sand, and stone toward the development of Yeouido
1988.4: Managed as a habitat for migratory birds
1999.8.10: Designated as an ecological preservation area
Location: 320, Ichon2-dong, Seoul
Area: 149,746 ㎡
Remained as a sandy plain until the late Joseon Dynasty
Also known as Jungjido, the oval-shaped Nodeulseom draws the attention of drivers passing through Yongsan in Gangbuk or Gangnam’s Noryangjin district.
It supports the Hangangdaegyo (Bridge) and has a total area of 45,300 pyeong.
Origin of name
“Nodeul” is the name of a neighborhood located south of Hangang and is believed to have originated from “Nodol”, which means “a stone that white herons played with”. Nodeulnaru or Nodeul port was one of the major “naru” (ports) of the Joseon Dynasty. Noryangjin, the name by which it is known today, is based on the Chinese characters for “Nodeulnaru.”
Nodeulseom was named Jungjido when it was developed into an island during the Japanese colonial period, but was later renamed Nodeulseom in 1995 as part of a government project to eliminate place names that have colonial period origins.
Location: Guui-dong, Gwangjin-gu
Area: 825,000 ㎡ (Ttukseom district)
Low-lying flood plain along the northern shore of Hangang (River), also known as “Salgojibeol”
1949: Well-known as a river port and a suburban agricultural field before being incorporated into Seoul
1940s: Developed as a riverside amusement park after urbanization
1960s: Developed as a large residential/commercial area and residential/education/green belt along the outskirts of Seoul
Sports facilities: 2 foot volleyball courts, 4 basketball courts (including 2 for the disabled), 4 gateball courts, 13 fitness centers, 4 tennis courts, and 15 badminton courts
Boat yard: boat yard and floating restaurant
Water ski stand: 4 motor boats
Swimming pool: accommodates 3,000 people (open from July to August)
X-game area (operated year-round)
Location: 549, Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu
An island created when Nanji, which is close to Mangsongjung, joined the flow of the main stream near Haengjusanseong (Fortress)
An island where orchid and mushroom grow in abundance
Also known as Ggotseom, Oriseom, and Apdo
A flat plain where peanuts and sorghum are cultivated
Oftentimes submerged by flood but a favorite destination for dating and picnics
1977: Construction of a bank
1978: Used as landfill
1993.2: Completely shut down
2002.5: Developed into World Cup Park
Nanji Hangang Park
Location: upper region of Hangang (River) in Oksu-dong, Seongdong-gu and Geumho-dong 4-ga
Area: 118,002 ㎡
An island created after Cheonggyecheon (Stream) joined Jungnangcheon (Stream) and flowed towards Hangang (River) in southwest. It lies between Cheonggyecheon (Stream) and the major artery of Hangang (River).
Used to be a hill and a sandy beach at the center.
The name of the island originates from the paper mulberry tree, which is found in abundance on the island (also known as “Oksudongseom” or Samgakseom)
1925: Sand and pebbles pile up after a heavy flood
The island lost its form and shape after the development of the Gangnam area in the 1970s.
Location: 137-41, Banpo 2-dong (within Banpo district near Hangang (River) waterfront)
Area: 25,000 ㎡ / Diameter: 1.2 ㎞
A man-made island in the middle of Banpodaegyo (Bridge) and Dongjakdaegyo (Bridge) areas
A man-made island developed during the construction of the Olympic Expressway and development of Development from 1982 to 1986. It can be accessed from three bridges.
A blend of weeping willow and canola flowers (yuchaekkot)
The nearby reed field and walkway along the shore is a popular destination for lovers and for photo opportunities.
A popular place for anglers because of the slow water flow and high water temperature that are ideal conditions for fishing carp.
Habitat for migratory birds, water ski stand, and flower garden