Application deadline: 30 March 2014
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is the world’s leading association of cities and local governments dedicated to sustainable development. ICLEI is a powerful movement of 12 mega-cities, 100 super-cities and urban regions, 450 large cities as well as 450 small and medium-sized cities and towns in 86 countries.
ICLEI promotes local action for global sustainability and supports cities to become sustainable, resilient, resource-efficient, biodiverse, low-carbon; to build a smart infrastructure; and to develop an inclusive, green urban economy. The ultimate aim is to achieve healthy and happy communities.
The organization is currently building a team to support its work in the East Asia region. The Founding Director seeks a visionary leader, knowledgeable expert and capable manager with strong communication skills, well connected, and an experienced fundraiser as
ICLEI East Asia Regional Director
based at the ICLEI East Asia Secretariat (EAS) in Seoul, South Korea.
- Lead ICLEI’s presence and work in the East Asia region
- Represent ICLEI vis-à-vis institutions in the region
- Develop the portfolio of ICLEI EA programs & services in accordance with ICLEI’s global Strategic Plan, in response to regional Members’ needs and expectations, as well as with a vision of ICLEI’s contribution to sustainable urban development in the region
- Be responsible for budget and resources
- Manage the EAS team
- Manage the Regional Executive Committee
- Participate in ICLEI’s International Offices Managers Consultation and meetings of the Global Executive Committee
- Participate actively in, and contribute to, ICLEI global projects and events from an East Asia perspective
The Regional Director shall:
- be rooted in or have demonstrated affinity to the East Asia region and have lived in one or more East Asian countries (China, Chinese Taipei, Japan, Korea, and Mongolia) for at least two years;
- have a degree in urban development, city planning, civil engineering, public administration, environmental policy or another subject relevant to ICLEI’s work;
- have at least 8 years of work experience, thereof four years in a non-academic institution, and at least two years of professional experience in a country other than the home country;
- have professional experience at the East Asia regional level;
- show proven skill, experience and successes in building an organization, developing its strategy, building institutional relations, raising resources, and managing its team;
- have an excellent command of the English language and be comfortable in one or more languages of the East Asian countries.
Terms and conditions
- The position is available immediately at the ICLEI East Asia Secretariat in Seoul, South Korea. The initial contract duration will be 24 months (including a probationary period of six months) with the option of extension.
- Workings hours: 40 hours per week; 20 days of paid leave per year.
- Working language: English
- Applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for the Republic of Korea prior to the start of the position.
- International travel will be required; communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours.
- Gross annual salary: 70-80 Million Korean Won, depending on qualifications
Please email job application (reference in subject line: “Regional Director”) including:
- Letter of motivation;
- CV (max 3 pages) and photo;
- Work references/ samples;
- Indication of citizenship, and if non-Korean, whether holder of a work permit for Republic of Korea;
- Indication of availability date.
to <email@example.com>. Application deadline: 30 March 2014