Application deadline: 30 March 2014
ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is the world’s leading association of cities and local governments dedicated to sustainable development. ICLEI is a powerful movement of 12 mega-cities, 100 super-cities and urban regions, 450 large cities as well as 450 small and medium-sized cities and towns in 86 countries.
ICLEI promotes local action for global sustainability and supports cities to become sustainable, resilient, resource-efficient, biodiverse, low-carbon; to build a smart infrastructure; and to develop an inclusive, green urban economy. The ultimate aim is to achieve healthy and happy communities.
The organization is currently building a team to support its work in the East Asia region. The Founding Director seeks an experienced expert in urban development / urban infrastructure and program developer/manager for the position of:
Manager Urban Programs
based at the ICLEI East Asia Secretariat (EAS) in Seoul, South Korea.
- Leadership in developing urban programs in line with ICLEI’s eight urban agendas (ref. Strategic Plan 2012-2018)
- Leadership in positioning ICLEI’s programs vis-à-vis local governments and institutions in the region
- Resourcing (proposal-writing and fundraising for) ICLEI’s programs and projects
- Organize and ensure the implementation of projects
- Managing Urban Programs team including staff, capacity and budget management
- Working in close cooperation and coordination with ICLEI’s Global Program Coordinators
The Manager Urban Programs shall:
- be rooted in or demonstrate affinity to the East Asia region and/or have lived in one or more East Asian countries (Korea, China, Chinese Taipei, Japan and Mongolia) for at least two years;
- have a degree in urban development, city planning, civil engineering, urban infrastructure, architecture, or another subject relevant to the position;
- have at least 6 years of work experience in at least two positions, ideally at least one year professional experience in a country other than the home country;
- have professional experience at the East Asia regional level;
- bring proven experience in project design, proposal writing, fundraising, and project management;
- possess sound knowledge in urban planning and management, and/or urban infrastructure and technologies;
- have an excellent command of the English language and at least one national language of an East Asian country such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Mongolian.
*) Urban programs include, in particular: Low-carbon City (including energy transformation); Resilient City; Resource-efficient City; Biodiverse City; Smart Urban Infrastructure; Green Urban Economy (including green purchasing); Healthy & Happy Community.
Terms and conditions
- The position is available immediately at the ICLEI East Asia Secretariat in Seoul, South Korea. The initial contract duration will be 24 months (including a probationary period of six months) with the option of extension.
- Workings hours: 40 hours per week; 20 days of paid leave per year.
- Working language: English
- Applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for the Republic of Korea prior to the start of the position.
- International travel will be required; communication with partners around the world may require work during unusual hours.
- Gross annual salary: 42-48 Million Korean Won, depending on qualifications
Please email job application (reference in subject line: “Manager Urban Programs”) including:
- Letter of motivation;
- CV (max 3 pages) and photo;
- Work references/ samples;
- Indication of citizenship, and if holder of a work permit for Republic of Korea;
- Indication of availability date.
to <email@example.com>. Application deadline: 30 March 2014