Information as of 21 Feb, 2017
■ Achievements of the Participatory Budget System (PBS) in Seoul
- ○ Active reflection of citizen proposal in the budget: A total of 250 billion won was reflected in the budget as citizen proposals in 2012~2016
- - The Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG) allocated a stable amount of approximately 50 billion won as the PBS budget annually since 2012, the year the PBS was first implemented, until 2016. Over those five years, a total of 250 billion won was reflected in the budget, suggested and decided by the citizens of Seoul.
- - 50 billion won accounts for ⅓ of the SMG’s annual new business capital of 150 billion won. The new business capital is the Seoul Metropolitan Government’s annual budget of 27 trillion won (based on 2016) minus fixed/obligatory expenses such as labor costs, court duty fees, on-going business fees.
- - Furthermore, in 2017, the budget for the PBS will be increased to approximately 60 billion won.
- ○ Unrestricted citizen participation: All citizens granted voting rights for the selection of businesses (Online voting implemented)
- - Implemented a system of selecting PBS businesses through online voting by citizens since 2015 so that all citizens can join in the selection of businesses (Mobile and PC voting included)
- - During the initial implementation of the PBS, only the 250 PBS committee members voted for the final selection. Since 2015, to reflect the opinions of the majority, the online citizen voting system was introduced.
- - No. of citizens who voted: 2015: 103,531 2016: 109,938 2017: 116,943
- ○ Democratic organization and citizen-led operation of the PBS Committee: There are no special qualifications to become a member of the PBS Committee. Members are selected through an electronic draw.
- - Diverse range of citizens represented: In addition to Seoul residents, students who attend a school in Seoul or work in Seoul are also welcome to apply. There are no restrictions in terms of age or nationality.
- - Consideration of social balance when selecting PBS Committee members: Selection of PBS Committee members through electronic draw in consideration of sex, age and regional balance
- - All PBS Committee members (quota of 300) are ordinary citizens to minimize administrative procedures
- ○ Continued efforts to secure citizen participation in the annual budget of the SMG
- - Attach citizen review sheet when submitting the annual budget plan to the city council: Operation of an official program to disclose information to the PBS Committee and accept opinions during the process of budget compilation
- - Implement citizen monitoring of the implementation of PBS businesses each year: Operation of a direct monitoring program of the PBS Committee regarding the execution and outcome of citizen-proposed PBS businesses
- - Implementation of various activities including the monitoring of unnecessary budget allocation: PBS Committee members are active in the budget abuse reporting advisory council and promotion of PBS.
- ○ Transparent operation of the PBS
- - Open meetings, draw up of minutes and their disclosure on website
- - Real-time disclosure of PBS business evaluation status by stage and separate notification to each proposer
- - Publication of annual PBS operation results white book and disclosure on website
- - Transparent operation through annual open discussion on PBS operation evaluation and establishment of improvement measures
- ○ Active support for citizen capacity building: Operation of various citizen training programs including the PBS School open to all citizens
- - PBS School: Required course for PBS training open to all citizens. PBS Committee members are selected through a draw upon completion of this course.
- - Advanced training for PBS Committee members: Implementation of advanced training per major activity for the purpose of strengthening the capacity of PBS Committee members and providing effective support
- - Continued expansion of citizen capacity building including ‘Visiting PBS School’: Continued expansion of citizen training through addition of PBS schools in more regions in Seoul
■ Operating System of the PBS in Seoul
- ○ PBS Committee
- - Function: Decision-making organization for the PBS
- - Quota: Maximum of 300 people
- - Composition: 25 members recommended by the mayor and city council members plus citizen members (selected through a draw of citizens who have completed the PBS School; open to all citizens)
- - Draw Method: Selected through electronic draw in consideration of sex, age and regional balance
- - Term: 1 year (1 term extension for 1 additional year possible)
< Table > Gender ratio of PBS Committee in Seoul (2012~2016)
Table Gender ratio of PBS Committee in Seoul (2012~2016)
- ○ Private-Public Budget Support Committee
- - Function: Evaluates PBS businesses for each business area
- - Quota: Maximum of 20 per area
- - Composition: PBS Committee members, Private-Public experts and civil officers from relevant departments (⅔ or more shall be PBS Committee members)
- - Installed in 11 areas in 2017
- ○ Specialized functions
- - Function: Citizen participation in the allocation of the SMG budget
- - Composition Method: Application and draw of PBS Committee members
- - Composed of 2017 total budget/settlement division, budget monitoring division, PR division, etc.
- · Total budget/settlement division: Participation in citizen-participated settlement, citizen review of the overall city budget plan
- · Budget monitoring division: Operation of the Budget Abuse Reporting Advisory Council and monitoring of PBS businesses
- · PR division: PR activities for the PBS, etc.
- - Members of specialized function divisions shall also evaluate the operation of PBS in autonomous districts.
- ○ Meetings in autonomous districts
- - Function: Accept resident opinions from the 25 autonomous districts in Seoul and select regional businesses
- - Composition Method: Autonomous selection per district (Autonomous District PBS Committee shall conduct PBS regional meetings)
- - Composition: 22 to 120 autonomous district PBS Committee members as of 2016 (50 on average)
- ○ PBS Support Committee
- - Function: Operational support of the PBS including citizen training, system operation evaluation and establishment of improvement measures
- - Composition: 25 or less city council members, private budget experts, civic organizations, PBS Committee members and/or related civil officers (Less than ½ are civil officers)
- - Composition Status: 1 city council member, 10 experts and civic organizations, 10 PBS Committee members and 4 civil officers as of 2017
■ Organization and Selection Process of the PBS
■ Other Operational Programs
< Contact >
- - Department: Citizen Participatory Budget Division, Planning and Administration Office, SMG
- - Address: 110, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul
- - Tel: 82-2-2133-6967~8
- - E-mail: email@example.com
- - Website: http://yesan.seoul.go.kr