– Model flying field (27,000㎡) at Gwangnaru Hangang Park becomes a designated Drone Park
→ Without getting a permission, drones weighing less than 12kg can be operated under the height of 150m for non-commercial uses
– It will be open for various events like Drone racing facilities and Drone flying contest
– SMG will use Hangang Park as the test-bed for drones and high-tech devices
□ Drones used to be for the military purpose. But now, the drone market is growing as a new growth industry. Drones are now more than just for the hobby, and used for practical purposes such as in detecting and extinguishing wildfires or in supplying delivery.
□ Seoul Metropolitan Government unveiled their plan saying “Model aircraft field (27,000 ㎡) in the Gwangnaru Hangang Park is designated as the ‘Hangang Drone Park’ where citizens can fly their drones without getting permission since June.
○ The Model aircraft field (27,000 ㎡) in the Gwangnaru Hangang Park has been equipped with the runway (160m x 30m) for the departure and arrival of the RC model aircrafts since 2009. The field, where the model aircrafts are operated, was allowed to use the space by Korea Aero Models Association.
○ From June, drones for hobbies weighing less than 12kg can be operated under the height of 150m in the Hangang Drone Park without any permission.
□ As the demands for drones for hobbies have been increased, more and more citizens, not only the members of the Korea Aero Models Association, are flying drones at Hangang Park in Yeouido and Gwangnaru, which in turn raises the need for the drone park.
○ For now, Gangbuk area of Hangang River belongs No-fly zone and most of the Gangnam area of it is restricted airspace. Only a part of the center of Gwangnaru Hangang Park is allowed to fly them.
□ Through the discussion with relevant organizations including Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport and Capital Defense Command, SMG has designated Gwangnaru Model Aircraft Field as the Hangang Drone Park, where citizens can fly their drones without getting any additional permission.
○ SMG will utilize Hangang Park as the test-bed for the high-technology devices.
□ SMG would prepare △ Directional Signs △ Drone Racing arena, △ Rest area for drones operators △Hangang Drone competitions.
□ Hwang Bo-yeon, the head of Hangang Project Headquarters, told “Though the industry has much potential to grow, it has many obstacles like no-fly zone, restricted airspace, or air control zone. That’s why we designated the drone park. We hope that citizens can fly drones safely at Hangang Drone Park.”