Deoksugung Palace was once the site of Prince Wolsan’s residence. As it was used as the temporary residence of King Seonjo after the Japanese invasion of 1592, Deoksugung Palace was called Haenggung Palace (“Temporary Palace”). Afterwards, it was renamed Gyeongungung Palace. As Emperor Gojong started to reside there in 1907, it was called Deoksugung Palace in the spirit of longevity. After Emperor Gojong moved from the Russian Legation to Deoksugung Palace, several structures were built, including Junghwajeon Hall. This makes Deoksugung Palace a historic site of late Joseon where traditional wooden buildings and Western architecture are preserved together. Jeong-dong, where Deoksugung Palace is located, is famous for its elegant stone-wall road which make it an ideal walking trail while also being a cultural center preserving Korean modern history.
Address: Deoksugung Palace, 99, Sejong-daero, Jung-gu, Seoul
Directions: Exit 2 of City Hall Station