- ( Russian, Vietnamese, Arabic, English, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Korean )
● What are the COVID-19 vaccines available at the moment?
▸As of February, 2021, there are two vaccines available for COVID-19 in Korea.
<Vaccination Age and Period per Vaccine Type>
|Classification||Vaccine Type||Injections||Injection Period|
|AstraZeneca||Carrier Vaccine (Virus Vector)||2||8-12 weeks|
|Pfizer||Nucleic Acid Vaccine (mRNA)||2||21 days|
*The carrier vaccine injects COVID-19 surface antigen gene into another viral mold, and the nucleic acid
vaccine (mRNA) injects COVID-19 surface antigen gene into the patient’s body in RNA form to induce immune
reaction by creating surface antigen within the patient’s body. Since neither vaccines use live formulations, they do not cause COVID-19 infection.
▸Additional injections other than the allowed injections are not recommended considering the lack of
information regarding the duration of preventive effect after vaccination.
● What are the cautions to be taken prior to receiving COVID-19 vaccination?
▸It is critical to receive vaccination when the patient’s physical condition is good, and the patient must receive medical examination from a doctor prior to vaccination.
▸The patient must not receive vaccination in any of the following cases:
▪ If the patient has severe allergic reaction, such as anaphylaxis, induced by the components of COVID19 vaccine
▪ If the patient experiences severe allergic reaction, such as anaphylaxis, after receiving the first dose of COVID-19 vaccination
※ Anaphylaxis: It is a severe allergic reaction that manifests symptoms of shock, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness, edema on lips/in mouth, severe rashes throughout the body, etc.
※ If the patient has allergic reaction to medications (bowel cleanser, etc.), cosmetics, food, other vaccines, etc., make sure to record the information in the medical examination sheet in detail.
▸Vaccination is not recommended for pregnant women and minors under 18,until sufficient clinical data confirming the safety and validity after vaccination is produced (may vary depending on the authorization of vaccines in Korea).
▸Vaccination shall be delayed in the following cases:
▪ If COVID-19 infection is suspected, immediately visit a screening facility for testing and delay vaccination until the test results are confirmed.▪ Individuals in quarantine due to COVID-19 and contact-traced individuals must delay vaccination until the quarantine ends.
▪ Individuals with acute symptoms, such as fever (37.5℃ or higher) must delay vaccination until the symptoms subside.
●What are the cautions to be adopted after receiving COVID-19 vaccination?
▸Observe occurrence of any abnormal reaction by remaining at the vaccination facility for 15-30 minutes after vaccination.
▸Observe occurrence of any abnormal reaction for at least 3 hours after returning home
▸Pay attention to any symptoms for at least 3 days after vaccination, and immediately seek medical attention if fever or other abnormal symptoms occur.
▸Always keep the injection area clean.
▸In case of seniors, make sure that a partner or caregiver is present nearby to help respond to any symptoms
● Is it possible to get infected with COVID-19 after taking the COVID-19 vaccination?
▸Vaccines used in Korea are not live vaccines, so the vaccination will not induce COVID-19 infection.
Symptoms such as coughing and loss of smell or taste do not occur as an effect of the vaccination.
▸If any of the symptoms occur, it is possible that the patient was infected with COVID-19 prior to receiving vaccination. In the case, immediately visit a screening facility and undergo COVID-19 testing.
● What are the possible abnormal reactions after receiving COVID-19 vaccination?
▸Possible reactions after receiving COVID-19 vaccination include regional reactions such as pain, swelling and rubefaction in the injection area, and systemic reactions such as fever, fatigue, headache, muscle pain, nausea or vomiting. In general, such reactions after taking the vaccination subside within three days.
▸In rare cases, severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) with shock, difficulty in breathing, loss of consciousness and edema on lips/in mouth may occur.
▸The patient must remain at the vaccination facility for at least 15 minutes after vaccination to observe occurrence of severe allergic reactions. If the patient experiences severe allergic reaction due to other reasons (medication, food, injection, etc.), observe for at least 30 minutes.
☞Visit the “Self-Check after Vaccination” at the Vaccination Helper website (https://nip.kdca.go.kr) for information on how to respond to abnormal reactions.
● What should I do if I experience abnormal reactions after COVID-19 vaccination?
▸If the patient experiences severe fever over 39℃ or allergic reactions (rashes, swelling, etc.), or if common reactions occur at a level preventing normal daily activities, immediately seek medical attention.
▸If the patient experiences severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis, etc.), immediately contact the Emergency Response (119) or visit a Local Emergency Room.
▸If abnormal reactions are suspected, report to a local public health center or contact via the Vaccination Helper Website (https://nip.kdca.go.kr).
● National Compensation for Vaccination-induced Damage
▸If the patient experiences abnormal reactions, the patient is eligible to seek compensation according to the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act
▸The application can be submitted within 5 years since the day abnormal reaction occurred. If the causal relationship is confirmed by the Damage Assessment and Vaccination Damage Compensation Committee, the patient will receive compensation for the damages that occurred.
▸If the patient believes damage occurred due to vaccination, submit an application to the public health center in the relevant jurisdiction area.
*The applicable copayment standard is eased for COVID-19 vaccination in 2021 (300,000 KRW No limit).
*For more information, contact the public health center in the relevant jurisdiction area or visit the Vaccination
Helper website (https://nip.kdca.go.kr).
• Even after receiving the COVID-19 vaccination, one must continue to observe measures for preventing COVID-19 infection.