Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
Seoul Metropolitan Government offers its citizens the 13th Hanseong Baekje Cultural Festival themed “Hanseong Baekje, The History of Seoul Began Here Two Thousand Years Ago.” This year’s festival focuses on the participation and involvement of citizens in a great variety of events aimed at having them take cultural pride in Seoul Metropolitan Government as the capital of Hanseong Baekje.
A Historical Overview of Hanseong Baekje (Reference: Samguk Sagi (History of the Three Kingdoms) by Kim Bu-sik)
- The two sons of Jumong – the founder of the Goguryeo Kingdom (37 BC~668 AD) – came to what is now known as Northern Seoul with their mother Soseono.
- Prince Onjo settled in Wiryeseong (north of Hangang (River)), whereas his elder brother Biryu chose Michuhol (Incheon) as his base.
- Seeing how the people in Wiryeseong under his younger brother’s rule were leading far more prosperous lives, Prince Biryu eventually died of shame.
- Prince Onjo set up a kingdom called Hanseong Baekje in 18 BC. He welcomed all the people under the rule of his brother Biryu (5 BC) and moved its capital to what is now Songpa in Gangdong-gu, Seoul. The ancient kingdom Hanseong Baekje prospered in Central Korea for centuries, enjoying a very high level of culture.
- The Kingdom of Baekje (18 BC ~ 660 AD) is divided into two periods: the Hanseong Baekje era (493 years from 18 BC to 475 AD) ranging from King Onjo to the inaugural year of King Munju with the capital located in Wirye, and; the remaining period when the kingdom was known only as Baekje, which started with the transfer of the capital to Ungjin (currently Gongju).
What is the Hanseong Baekje Cultural Festival?
The Hanseong Baekje Cultural Festival is an event intended to remember and celebrate the splendid cultural heritage of Hanseong Baekje based on what is now Songpa many centuries ago.
Aware that there is no event commemorating the outstanding cultural heritage of Hanseong Baekje, which made up more than seven tenths (493 years) of the 678-year Baekje Kingdom period, Seoul Metropolitan Government launched the annual Hanseong Baekje Festival in 1994 in Songpa, the capital of the ancient kingdom.
Schedule of Hanseong Baekje Cultural Festival Events
Thursday, October 3 (1st Day)
|Hanseong Baekje torch-lighting ceremony and torch relay||11:00 ~ 12:00||Gyeongdang History Park & Olympic Park|
|Challenge! Hanseong Baekje quiz show||14:00 ~ 15:00||The main stage at Peace Plaza of Olympic Park|
|Commemorative rite at Baekje ancient tombs|