Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
On the grounds of Choong Ang High School, located in corner of Gye-dong in Bukchon, there is an old antique-looking building that seems to have been frozen in time since Bukchon first established. The school was founded by patriots at the end of the Korean Empire, when Japan clearly expressed its intention to invade the nation. Giho Heunghakhoe (an enlightenment movement group formed by patriots in 1908 in Seoul), established mainly by Giho members in 1908, opened a private Giho school in Hwadong, Jongno-gu, the northern part of the area formerly known as Hanseong. The present-day campus of Choong Ang High School consists of the main building, eastern building, and western building, all of which are significant historical structures. All of the buildings were built based on a historical style influenced by the pursuit of independent advancement and development of the nation during the Japanese colonial period. This school is considered to be a landmark in Bukchon, and is deemed quite exotic by many. Inside the school, you can find the March 1st Memorial Hall, which was the sleeping quarters used by the school teachers, who planned the March 1 Pro-Independence Movement, making it an ideal place to commemorate the March 1 Pro-Independence Movement. The June 10th memorial monument pays tribute to students who distributed Korea’s national flag and shouted for independence on the funeral day of the last emperor, Sunjong, of the Korean Empire.