Bureau and Corporate Funded Body
The Seobuk Academic Society was organized in Nagwon-dong in 1908 by a group of scholars including Ahn Chang-ho, Park Eun-sik, Yu Dong-yeol, and Lee Dong-hui, with the aim of enlightening grassroots people, at a time when the country’s fortunes were in rapid decline. The society and the associated Oseong School were handed over to Yu Seok-chang, who ran Minjung Hospital, which later became the College of Medicine of Konkuk University.
In 1956, Konkuk University was moved to its current location in Seongdong-gu. This building in Nakwon-dong was used by students attending night classes at Konkuk University and as offices.
In 1985, the Seobuk Academic Society was relocated to Konkuk University in Seongdong-gu. At present, the building is used as the Sangheo Memorial Hall to honor the educational philosophy of the university’s founder, Yu Seok-chang. It has also been designated as Cultural Heritage No. 53.