Around 1900, Emperor Gojong ordered the overall repair of such buildings as Jeonggwanheon Hall, Dondeokjeon Hall, Guseongheon Hall, Jungmyeongjeon Hall, Hwanbyeokjeong Hall, in Deoksugung Palace. The restoration work took seven years to complete.
Jeonggwanheon Hall was built in 1900 at the highest point in the palace grounds as a venue for the king’s entertainment. After Seonwonjeon Hall, a building where the portraits of former kings were kept, was destroyed by fire in 1901, Jeonggwanheon Hall was used temporarily to keep the portrait of King Taejo, the founder of the Joseon Dynasty, under the name Gyeongundang Hall.
Jeonggwanheon Hall, the country’s first western-style building, built with high-quality materials by first-rate architects, may be regarded as a representative structure of Imperial Korea.