This atelier was made over a period of two years by sculptor Gwon Jin-gyu, who produced his artworks here from 1959, the year in which he returned home from Japan, until his death in 1973. Gwon specialized in realist terracotta sculptural works. After his death, Korean artistic circles named him a representative sculptor of the late 20th century. His sister donated the atelier to Seoul City, which is responsible for repairing and preserving it, in 2006. It is registered as a Seoul Cultural Heritage.