Three million followers of the Cheondogyo Religion decided to donate 10 won each in order to build the Central Hall. They collected 270,000 won and started the work in July 1919. The hall was completed in February 1921. They gave the rest of the money to the March 1919 Independence Movement.
At first, Cheondogyo’s leader, Son Byeong-hui, planned to build a hall sized 1,200m2. However, the Japanese colonists would not issue a building permit on the pretext that the planned building was too large and looked dangerous, having no supporting columns in the center. The group managed to obtain a building permit by reducing the building’s size by half.
The two-story building is built of red bricks and granite stones and has a four-story central tower. Total floor size: 700㎡; land size: 1.5 acre. Iron angles were used to install the roof. Accommodation capacity: 1,000 people. Granite stones were brought from a quarry in Changsin-dong. It is also the place where Bang Jeong-hwan (pen-name: Sopa) carried out a movement for children.