In the 1960s and 1970s, Cheongnyangni Station was the departure point for anyone taking a trip to Chuncheon or other destinations along the Hangang (River) between Seoul and Chuncheon. It was also the starting point for trains linking Seoul and Wonsan (North Korea) in 1911, as well as trains linking Seoul and Yeongju.
Major railroads took Cheongnyangni as the starting point, as it was the starting point for streetcars. As Emperor Gojong paid frequent visits to the tomb of his wife in Hongneung, a streetcar line was laid between Seodaemun and Hongneung to make the trip more convenient for him in 1899. The newly laid line brought many changes to people’s daily lives. With Cheongnyangni Station serving as a major railroad station in eastern Seoul, local agricultural and forestry products were supplied to Seoul through it. Local people swarmed to areas close to Cheongnyangni Station. Streetcars disappeared from Seoul in 1968, but Seoul Subway Line 1 linking Seoul Station with Cheongnyangni opened in 1974. Thus, Cheongnyangni Station emerged as a commercial center in the northeastern part of Seoul.